We must accept once and for all that humans and cats are different. We differ in the way we behave and the diet we must follow. Cats are predatory animals, and that is the leading food in their diet. In this list of foods, we know that apples are very good for us. But what about our cats? Are apples good for them?
Cats could eat apples as long as you take some measures before giving them this fruit. Apples are not toxic for cats as long as they are well peeled and all the seeds are removed. Therefore, if we comply with these requirements, we will be able to give our pets this delicious fruit.
Cats are used to eating primarily meat. As a result, it is challenging for them to make good digestion when eating other kinds of foods. This difficulty can bring side effects in the short term. As a result, the way in which apples are fed to cats should include some precautions that will prevent future problems. This article will cover everything you need to know about your cat and how you should adequately give them apples.
Do Cats Like Apples?
This question could have a relative answer, yes, but with some clarifications. As we know, cats are primarily carnivorous animals. Excellent and proper nutrition in cats occurs by eating protein. This behavior means that, in theory, our pets would not need any other food to be healthy.
However, it is natural for cat owners to want to give them other foods to try. Especially those foods or fruits that are good for us. But be careful; just because a food or fruit is beneficial for us does not mean that it is also helpful for them. Therefore, it is always good to research and consult a veterinarian before doing anything different for our little friends.
As for apples, if you give your cat a taste of this fruit, of course, he will eat it without hesitation. Apples have a different texture than the foods your pet usually eats. For this reason, apples would not be among their favorite foods, but they would not avoid eating them either.
Are Apples Good Or Bad For Cats?
It isn’t straightforward to give a concrete answer because everything will depend on several aspects. The fruit itself could be toxic or edible.
The stems, leaves, and seeds of apples are harmful to cats. They are hazardous elements for their health. They contain cyanide, which is equivalent to poison, in a more colloquial language.
It is enough for the cat to chew and swallow several seeds to put them in danger of death or leave them entirely defenseless against collateral diseases.
But don’t be alarmed; apples prepared in the right way can have significant benefits for cats.
Are Apples Healthy For Cats?
If you want to give apples to your cat, it should only be under strict control. As we have already seen, you should remove some parts of this fruit. But it’s not all bad news. Suppose we do things the right way apples can bring significant benefits to our feline friends. Some of these benefits are:
- Apples make excellent snacks because they help strengthen cats’ immune systems Apples give cats the strength they need to fight off pests and other diseases.
- Apples improve a cat’s coat. This protection helps them prevent allergies or insect bites.
- Apples have antioxidant and detoxifying properties. They help improve overall health.
- Apples improve the functioning of organs. These organs are the liver, bladder, and kidneys. The most important aspect is that you make sure that the apples are organic. If the apples are not organic, they may have pesticides. Pesticides can cause adverse effects and can harm your cat’s health.
- Apples are rich in vitamin C and other components. If you give a small piece to your cat, they are getting a vital vitamin intake. It will help if you are careful not to overdo it when feeding them apples.
- Apples also contain calcium. This component helps your cat to strengthen its teeth and bones.
- Apples contain vitamin A, which helps strengthen the immune system.
- Eating apples also guarantees an essential source of vitamin B. Vitamin B helps cats to strengthen cell function and helps to process glucose.
- We also know that the apple is an essential source of vitamin K. This vitamin helps blood clotting.
- As if that were not enough, apples contain vitamin E. This vitamin helps cats to have better digestion of food.
How Should I Feed Apples To My Cat?
Although we have seen the benefits that apples have for cats, they should be consumed in moderation. The ideal portion for a cat should never exceed 10% of its diet.
When the cat consumes apples in excess, the nutritional balance goes from positive to negative. Excessive intake of vitamins A, B, and K can cause nervous tics, difficulty in evacuation, or even internal bleeding.
- Squeeze Ups provide the purrfect bonding experience between you and your cat – this playful & interactive lickable cat treat gives treating a whole new meaning. Each lickable treat tube is stuffed with a thick and creamy puree treat that is made from real poultry and fish.
In addition, if we give the cat too many apples, we will be decreasing the necessary amount of protein that it needs to be healthy. This imbalance in the diet will delay the development of organs and tissues in their organism.
What Is The Correct Way To Serve Apples?
The first thing to do is remove all the leaves, stems, and seeds from the apple. After the first step, we must wash the fruit very well. Remember that many orchards use pesticides to grow them, which is not beneficial for your pet.
The amount of fruit to serve is another crucial factor. Giving your cat too many apples may upset his digestive system. It is best to mix small pieces of apples into the cat food. The smaller the amount, the easier it will be for your pet to digest.
Two small pieces of apple a day will be enough to avoid overdoing it and maintain your cat’s proper diet.
Other Precautions To Consider When Giving Apples To Cats
Some aspects should always be taken into account when giving apples to cats.
You should not provide rotten apples to cats. Apples in this state can give your cat diarrhea and stomach pain.
Experts recommend giving your cat apples that have been chopped into tiny pieces or mashed. However, you must understand that this puree cannot be a canned one that you bought at the supermarket. These processed apple purees or sauces have many additives and preservatives that are harmful to cats. It is best to prepare the puree ourselves using organic apples.
Remember that by giving your cat too many apples, you also give it large doses of sugar. Sugar can cause damage to cats of all kinds. In the short term, sugar will damage a cat’s teeth. In the long term, it can cause your pet to develop obesity and diabetes.
How Do I Know If My Cat Has Been Poisoned By Eating Apples?
When a cat is in danger from cyanide intake, we can observe several symptoms. Among the easiest to recognize are:
- Rapid breathing
We know that seeing our cat manifest these symptoms can be shocking. You must stay calm and go to the vet immediately.
A Final Thought On Cats And Apples
Let’s remember the initial question of this article: can cats eat apples? We have to say that if we take some precautions, the answer is yes.
We have to make sure we have clean and fresh apples. Discard rotten apples. Let’s look for preferably organic apples. Then we have to remove seeds, leaves, and stems because remember that’s where the poisonous component is. And finally, let’s supply our pets with small amounts of apples to take care of and control their consumption.
- Why Do Cats Chase Their Tails? Should You Be Worried?
- Can Cats Eat Pizza? Will Pizza Make Your Cat Sick?
Shawn Manaher is a serial entrepreneur but when he isn’t working, he loves dogs. He’s owned different pets over the years, and always gives a part of his heart to each pet.