The love we have and give to our furry friends is significant, and they are part of our family. The health of our cats is vital to us, and we love them. Because we love them so much, we want to make sure that they are OK. In this article, we will present if your cat can eat applesauce.
Applesauce is a great way to provide fiber to your furry friend. It is entirely safe to give your cat applesauce in moderate quantities. The frequency upon which you should feed your cat is what you need to be careful of. Other things related to the apple, not so much.
What Is Applesauce?
First, we need to understand what applesauce is. Applesauce is just apples in pureed form. Usually, applesauce has other ingredients like cinnamon and other fruit pulps. Still, the main component of the applesauce is, as stated by the name apples.
There are on the market pre-packaged applesauce that comes with a significant number of chemicals in it. Also, this pre-packaged applesauce can have many preservatives that apples in nature wouldn’t have. We do not recommend giving your cat pre-packaged applesauce.
Natural crushed apples with no added chemicals or preservatives is what you should give your cat. We will explain why natural applesauce is the best option for your cat in the following sections.
Can Cats Eat Applesauce?
We can say that applesauce is entirely safe for your cat. Cats should not have any problems if they eat applesauce.
The applesauce you give to your cat should be of a natural source, which means that you made it for them. You need to make sure that you clean your apples properly because they might have bug sprays in their skins, which could be bad for your furry friend.
The seed of an apple is a no-no for your cat. The apple seeds have small amounts of cyanide which is toxic for your cat. Applesauce is not harmful to your cat, but you should not feed your cat too much because it could be bad for your furry friend in the long run.
We highly recommend making homemade applesauce. This way, you can make sure that chemicals or preservatives are not present in your applesauce.
Making applesauce is relatively easy, and the ingredients are red apples, honey (avoid adding sugar), and water.
The process of cooking it is pretty easy as well, and the steps are the following:
- Peel your apples into medium-side slices and remove the core and seeds.
- Put the apple slices in a pan.
- Add the honey and water to the mix.
- Smash everything together and put it to cook for a while.
- Let it chill after, and it will be ready for your cat.
The applesauce should not be the main character on your cat’s diet. We need to always remember that cats are carnivores. Adding applesauce to your cat’s diet has its benefits, on the other hand. This section will present some of the benefits applesauce can have in your cat’s diet.
|Top Top||Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food, 22 Pounds||Learn More|
|Top Top||Purina Friskies Cat Food Poultry/Seafood 60 Cans||Learn More|
|Top Top||Purina Friskies Wet Cat Food Variety Pack||Learn More|
- Fiber is present in a reasonable amount in applesauce. Fiber could help your cat to have a better digestive function and help it to digest other parts of its diet. It would be best if you did not overdo it though, too much applesauce can cause colic or sickness.
- Vitamin C is present in applesauce, and this could help your cat because it also provides antioxidants.
- Fructose is an element that helps to remove harmful toxins from your furry friend’s body.
So far, we have talked about the good and the benefits of feeding your cat applesauce, but not all is good.
The main issue is with the amount of applesauce you give to your cat. Another problem is if you decide to use other elements related to apples. In this section, we are going to enumerate some risks of feeding applesauce to your cat.
Your cat should not eat industrial applesauce that you bought at the store. They have many chemicals and a lot of sugar in them, so avoid feeding your cat with store-bought applesauce.
The amount of applesauce that you give to your cat is also something that needs to be under control.
How much is too much, you might wonder? The problem with quantity is that your furry friend does not process sugar the same way humans do. If your cats overeat applesauce, it could lead to a rise in the sugar levels in their blood, which could generate multiple health problems.
To answer the question, if you feed your cat applesauce once or twice a week, you should be fine.
Never let your furry friend eat applesauce from rotten fruit. It is likely that your cat will suffer from diarrhea, and it could have an allergic reaction to the fermented fruit. If you have an apple tree in your house, you need to be careful and don’t let your cat eat the apples that might fall from the tree.
Other parts of the apple and the apple tree are not suitable for your furry friend, and you should be careful not to let your cat eat them. For example, leaves, twigs, and seeds are not suitable for your cat and can be considered toxic for our beloved pets.
If your cat has any weight gain issues, applesauce is not a treat that you should give your cat. The sugar content in applesauce can make the obesity level of your cat rise.
Examples Of Human Food That Your Cat Can Eat:
There are other “human” foods that you can share with your cat. In this section, we will present a list of alternatives to share with your furry friend.
- Cucumbers. Excellent source of water, and it will help you keep your cat hydrated. Cucumbers are a good source of vitamin K that can help prevent blood clotting and have a healthy liver.
- Pears are a great source of vitamins for your cat. Do not feed your cat with seeds or the pears pips, however. These parts of the pear are harmful to your cat, but the fruit itself is not.
- Potatoes do not have any medical benefits to add to your cat’s diet. With that being said, we can also say that potatoes are not toxic or harmful to your cat, and they can be an occasional treat. Always keep in mind that potatoes have to be cooked to be served to your cat.
- Peaches are a good treat for your furry friend. Peaches are rich in vitamin C and water and can be suitable for your cat. Different parts of the peach are not ideal for your cat and can be harmful. The pits of the peaches, the leaves of the peach tree, and any other parts that are not the juicy part of the peach are a no-no for your cat. The quantity that you give to your cat when it comes to peaches should always be of moderation. Feeding too many peaches to your cat could provoke an undesirable reaction in your cat’s digestive system.
- Peas are a source of vitamins B1, K, and C; they also have a good amount of potassium. Peas are great for cats that are having digestion problems because of their high content of fiber. You should avoid feeding your cat with canned peas because those usually have added sodium, which can be harmful to your cat. For your furry friend, you should always provide them with fresh or frozen peas with no seasoning.
- Squash is the best option for your cat when it comes to treats. Squash contains calcium, beta-carotene, potassium, and fiber that are very helpful for your furry friend.
Applesauce is suitable for cats. We need to always remember that a cat’s diet has to be on animal protein. When it comes to fruits and vegetables, they should only be a complement to your cat’s diet and never the main course.
Always remember the parts of the apple and apple tree that you should never include in your applesauce. Trunks, leaves, and seeds from the apple and the apple tree are harmful to your cat, and you have to avoid them.
If your cat has thyroid problems, you should not feed them too much applesauce because of the sugar content.
We recommend consulting with your vet before trying any of these options for your cat’s diet.
As a general rule, we recommend that no more than 10% of the diet should comprise all the items in the article. Lastly, we recommend avoiding giving any of the food presented in this article raw to your cat.