Is Thanksgiving arriving? Your cat might be curious about this standard meal among humans. Read this article if you are curious and interested in this and want to find out if feeding turkey is safe for your cats and more.
If you own a cat, you probably know that they are carnivores. This means that cats can eat turkey with no issue. However, overloading your cat with human food is not the best. The best way to feed this to a cat is by giving them small pieces, but never a whole turkey.
Is Turkey Harmful To Cats?
Turkey is not harmful to cats. It is suitable for them, and they like it because they are carnivores. Yet, it all depends on how the turkey is prepared, seasoned, or presented. There are some ways of cooking the turkey that can be somehow harmful to your feline pet. At the same time, you should always keep everything balanced. Make sure to not feed turkey to your cat every day or in excess. The pet will get tired if you feed him turkey every day.
Can Turkey Make My Cats Sick?
It depends on the way you prepare the turkey. However, if you serve it in the wrong way, it can make your cat feel sick or expose them to health issues. For instance, if you feed them food that has a large amount of fat, this can bring many consequences. Some of the repercussions of them consuming foods with a high fat content are:
- Liver disease
- Heart disease
- Skin infections
- Bladder stones
Giving considerate amounts of turkey does not mean that your cat will suffer from any of these diseases, so long as you provide them with moderation. Nonetheless, keeping portions in a considerate and healthy amount is important.
How Much Turkey Can I Feed My Cat?
The healthiest amount of turkey that you can give to a cat is one ounce or twenty-eight grams. Yet, this all depends on the health conditions of your feline pet. You should always consult everything with a veterinarian of your choice.
As you might know, not all cats work the same way, so for some cats, twenty-eight grams can be too little or too much. As a result, before overdoing it with the turkey, speak with a professional.
Benefits Of Giving Portions Of Turkey To Your Cat
There are some benefits that cats can get from consuming turkey. Here are some of them:
- Cats are meat consumers, meaning that this keeps them strong and healthy.
- Proteins: Proteins give them energy. Additionally, it helps to maintain normal glucose levels in their blood. Moreover, proteins can regulate your cat’s appetite.
- Turkey can give your cat a good and healthy heart.
- Meat in general, including turkey, can provide good vision to your feline pet.
- Another benefit that your cat can get from meat is a healthy reproductive system.
Can Cats Eat Raw Turkey?
You should never give raw turkey or raw meat in general to a cat, and you need to cook any type of meat to at least 165 Fahrenheit. Serving it raw is extremely dangerous because you can expose your cat to several diseases. Some of those consequences can be:
- Various bacterial infections: Some of these are internal infections and parasites and salmonellosis.
- Effects of bacterial infections: Some of these bad outcomes are fever, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, abdominal cramps, or unbearable pain, blurry vision, vomiting blood, dehydration, no urination, dizziness, and more.
- Another piece of advice is that if humans cannot eat a specific food, do not give it to cats or pets in general. Or, if you think that it will not harm your cat, you can ask your vet for advice.
- In the worst case, your cat can end up with a severe health condition, so please avoid giving raw meat or turkey to your cat.
Can Cats Eat Turkey Bacon?
There is no doubt that bacon contains substantial amounts of saturated fat. At the same time, it includes a lot of salt. Turkey bacon has a lot of sodium which can be very unhealthy for a cat. Aside from obesity, turkey bacon can cause other health problems like low appetite, tremors, seizures, incoordination, extreme thirst, frequent urination, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and in some severe cases, death.
The best decision you could take is to avoid foods containing too much salt, sodium, or anything similar. In case of salt or sodium poisoning, your cat should be given an emergency vet visit or large amounts of water to drink.
Can Cats Eat Deep-fried Turkey?
Although your cat might like this variation of turkey, it is not healthy at all. It has trans-fat and saturated contents that can lead your pet to heart issues, obesity, and in some extreme cases, strokes or heart attacks.
Is It Okay To Give Deli Or Seasoned Turkey To My Cat?
Like deep-fried turkey, this is never the best option. These meats are highly processed, and they have food colorings, chemical preservatives, and there is the possibility of listeria contamination. Delis contain nitrates, nitrites, and a lot of sodium. You should avoid delis at all costs, but giving a small slice of this turkey to your cat will not kill or harm them immediately. The consequences of serving too much deli happen when you provide it daily or in significant amounts.
The same applies to seasoned turkey; if you buy it or do not cook it, you will not know which seasonings it includes. Strong seasonings can be harmful to your cat. Some of those seasonings are onions, scallions, garlic, salt, and more.
Can I Give Turkey Bones To My Cat?
No, you should not serve any type of bone to a cat (or any pet). The consequences of giving these to your cat are:
- Risk of choking: Bones are too big and hard for pets, meaning that sometimes they cannot process them correctly, leading to choking.
- Dental fractures: Bones can fracture your cat’s teeth, so they are not recommended by vets in that area either.
- Bones can cause intestinal issues: Your cat’s intestines are exceptionally delicate, and giving bones can cause intestinal perforation.
Similar Foods Or Alternatives To Turkey
Some foods that you can give to cats that are similar to turkey are other meaty servings. As you already know, cats need meat and protein to have a healthy diet. You can replace or change it with other meats or with treats specifically made for cats. Remember that when replacing or adding new food to your pet’s diet, you need to start with small amounts to avoid gastrointestinal issues.
The Best Way Of Serving Turkey To Your Cat
The best way of feeding your cat turkey is by buying some fresh skinless and boneless turkey and cooking it until it reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
You do not need to add any seasonings, and the best part to feed is the turkey’s breast. This is the recommended way to serve it.
In brief, you should always consult a veterinarian every time you want to give a new type of food to your pet. It would help if you heard advice from professionals because they know everything about what you can do and cannot do with pets. In regards to turkey, as mentioned during the article, it is a safe food to give them, as long as it is consumed in moderation.
Shawn Manaher is a serial entrepreneur but when he isn’t working, he loves dogs. He’s owned different pets over the years, and always gives a part of his heart to each pet.